Two members CUPE 2669’s Executive have been meeting with SPL’s CEO and Director of Public Services at “2 + 2” meetings. Important information from these meeting includes:
- SPL will not be appealing the Saskatchewan Labour Board’s Decision on supervisors remaining in our local.
- City Manager Murray Totland informed City of Saskatoon (CoS) employees that there will be no wage increases this year *
- SPL’s CEO Carol Cooley and other public library directors met with Deputy Premier Don Morgan on April 12
- Ms. Cooley will not be asking the CoS for more municipal funding for SPL.
- SPL’s Board of Directors met on April 13.
- Ms Cooley is “deeply concerned” about the effect of the budget cuts on SPL employees and services.
- If you have questions, concerns or suggestions you can contact Ms. Cooley, your manager or your Union representative. Ms. Cooley is willing to provide what answers she can.
*in his address to the City Mayor Charlie Clark said that all CoS employee wages will be frozen except those of public library workers http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/clark-delivers-first-state-of-the-city-address-1.3363824
Ed’s note: This is probably a reflection of CoS insistence that CUPE 2669 library workers’ employer is the Saskatoon Public Board not the City of Saskatoon
Library Workers’ Steering Committee
- There is interest in resurrecting the provincial Library Workers’ Steering Committee which not been active for a number of years.
- CUPE represents library workers from Regina, Saskatoon, Lakeland, Parkland, Southeast, Palliser, Wapiti and John M. Cuelenaere.
- The LWSC needs library workers to serve as executive members and members at large. The Committee raises public awareness of library workers’ issues, advocates for public libraries and lobbies for better working conditions.
- If you are interested in working on the LWSC, please contact a member of 2669’s executive, a provincial AGM by teleconference is planned for April 29.
Members are encouraged to contact their MLAs, decision makers, and to share the impact of the budget cuts to libraries with their family and friends. Acting President Lindsay also encourages members to continue to provide excellent service to our public library patrons.