Grievances and Disputes

When you have a dispute with management, talk with your shop steward! We can help.

The first step we will take is to talk with management about the issue on your behalf. Most disputes are resolved with this step alone!

If that doesn’t work, we can file a grievance on your behalf. This is something we do for you, so if you do not want to file a grievance about an issue that affects you alone, you will not have to.

Grievances start by being submitted to your manager. If the issue isn’t resolved there, we can then submit them to the CEO. If that also doesn’t resolve the issue, we can submit it to the library board or go to arbitration. Arbitration is final, and does cost us money.

CUPE has the Grievance Form online. They also have a Grievance Fact Sheet. These can help you file a grievance, or help you know what to expect when you are filing a grievance. You will need to keep track of information such as what happened and when it happened, and you will want to have an idea of what you want from management to make it right. This could be money from a pay dispute, revocation of a written reprimand, or even a policy change or apology.

We can also file a grievance for a group of us or for the whole union if there is an issue that affects a lot of people in the same way.